Monday, April 22, 2013

Adepticon 2013 - Wrap up: 1k How You Use It: AM

So Adepticon 2013 has come and gone and with it many a fantastic game!  This will be the 1st of at least 3 different posts covering my time at the convention and the games I played and without too much filler lets get started.

I arrived on Thursday morning just in time to play in the AM 1,000 point 'How You Use It' tournament.  Feeling mostly lazy I played the same lists I did last year for the 1k's except switched which event they were in.  So for the AM I took a filthy Skaven list as below:

Greyseer - All Ruin
Chieftan - BSB
Engineer - Doomrocket
2x5 Giant Rats w/1 Packmaster Each
34 Slaves - Musician
33 Clanrats - FC
5 Gutter Runners - Poison, Slings
Hellpit Abomination - Warpstone Spikes



Scenario 1: Line 'em Up
Battleline
Special Rules: Unstoppable Force
Each unit with at least 20 Infantry/Warbeasts or 6 Cavalry/Swarm models gains Devastating Charge.
Enemy: Bretonnia
Paladin - Warhorse, Shield, Virtue of Heroism, Gromril Great Helm, Sword of Swiftslaying, Dragonbane Gem
Paladin - BSB, Warhorse, Grail Vow, Grail Shield, Luckstone
Paladin - Warhorse, Lance, Shield, Dragonhelm, Dawnstone
9 Knights of the Realm - FC, Lichbone Penant
3 Pegasus Knights - Champ, Musician
10 Peasant Bowmen - FC, Braziers
I knew going in that his Paladin very likely had Heroism but it didn't stop my from throwing the Hellpit at the Knight unit.  I figured out of 3 attacks he shouldn't be too likely to actually land the KB.  Turns out that he did though and even though I proceeded to put everything I had into that unit I left it with a single model.  The only casualty of the game thus being my Abom, the opponent won the game by 250 VP's.  A poor way to start.

Scenario 2: He Who Fights and Runs Away
Battleline
Special Rules: All units with a Standard or BSB gain 'Feigned Flight' ability.
Enemy: Dwarfs
Runesmith - Master Rune of Balance, Rune of Spellbreaking
Engineer - Rune of Speed
2x10 Thunderers
220 Hammerers - FC
Cannon - Rune of Forging
Grudge Thrower - Rune of Accuracy
I really loved the look of this army.  The owner took the time to paint or print out labels for every Hammerer and turn all of their hammers into kegs of different beers.  The Thunderers are all shooting labeled bottles of beer and though it isn't in this picture his Championship display board was built atop a Keg-arator with a working Beer Tap in it.  Fantastic!  Unfortunately my army was almost tailor made to eat this style of army and though he did kill the Abomination with a Grudge Thrower hit, it proved his only solace as I then took him down to only a Runesmith left by the end of the game.

Game 3: Glory to the Brave
Battleline
Special Rules: Fortitude and Breaking Point
Enemy: Beastmen
Beastlord - Crown of Command, Ramhorn Helm, Gnarled Hide, Heavy Armor, Shield
Bray Shaman - Level 1, Dispel Scroll
Wargor - BSB, Heavy Armor, Shield, Great Weapon
15 Gor - Extra Hand Weapon, FC
14 Gor - Extra Hand Weapon, FC
10 Ungor - Musician
2 Tuskagor Chariot
5 Harpies
This was looking to be a fun game.  We moved tactically into position and prepared for a fight.  Then the Greyseer realized that his General and BSB were in 1 unit and used 'The Dreaded Thirteenth' spell to turn them all into Clanrats ending the game before the start of turn 3 due to the breaking point rule.  I was pretty drunk by this time and while I feel certain that had at least 1 combat in this game I just cannot remember it.

Had I not lost my 1st game I feel pretty confident that I would've won this tournament as I ended up 4th overall with only a 4 point separation between myself and 1st place.  Damn.  So close!!!!  Keep an eye on the blog in the near future to see my wrap up of the PM 1,000 point tournament as well as the Team Tournament.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: