Tuesday, September 11, 2012

ToTG: 2,500 Point Final Game

So last night Ryan and I got together for the completion of the ToTG article and our 2,500 point game!  How exciting.  The lists:

Joe
Empire General
-Full Plate, Shield, Helm of Skavenslayer, Ogre Blade, Potion of Foolhardiness, Gryphon (TWo Heads, Bloodroar)

Battle Wizard Lord
-Level 4, Lore of Shadow

Empire Captain
-BSB, Full Plate, Shield, Sword of Might, Dragonhelm

Battle Wizard
-Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Lore of Fire

Warrior Priest
-Heavy Armor, Shield, Ironcurse Icon, Obsidian Lodestone

Warrior Priest
-Heavy Armor, Shield, Warhorse, Barding

14 Handgunners

40 Spearmen
-Shields, Musician, Standard Bearer

9 Knights of the Inner Circle
-Full Command, Steel Standard

24 Flagellants

Great Cannon

Steam Tank

Hellblaster Volley-Gun

Ryan (I don't know the exact gear on the models)
Slaughtermaster
-Lore of Death

Bruiser
-BSB

Butcher
-Lore of Maw

72 Gnoblars
-Trappers

2x6 Ogres
-Full Command

8 Ironguts
-Full Command, Dragonhide Banner

2x1 Sabretusks

3 Leadbelchers

Scraplauncher

Ryan tried something new with a massive unit of Gnoblars which he then mis-deployed.  I suppose had they been put in the right place they could have really chuffed the Steam Tank up for as long as he could want, However they ended up on there own across from my Knights and Flagellants.  I set up fairly strong on my left flank to start which Ryan then set up across which is what I wanted.  I dropped the Knights and Flagellants on the right being my two hittiest units which I wanted to bring into his flanks.  The Gryphon I dropped way out right to go after the Scraplauncher.  Probably the worst misdeployment on my side.

I moved a quite a bit forawrd turn 1 and threw a little magic and shooting.  Ryan gunned forwards as fast as he could ensuring that turn 2 would see the beginning of combat one way or the other.  He shot a couple of wounds onto the Gryphon but otherwise the 1st turn was nothing of consequence.
My 2 had me declaring a charge on the Scraplauncher with the Gryphone which failed.  The Knights made a hard turn in front of the Gnoblars to go for the flanks of Ryans big units while the Flagellants moved forward to try and ensure the Gnoblars couldn't get the back of the Knights and hold them.  The Spears reformed deep for the steadfast against the inevitable charge.  The Cannon and Volley Gun did some wounds while the Handgunner took a woulnd off the Giant and the Fire Mage fireballed the Sabretusk off.
Ryan declared his Guts and Ogres against my Tank and Spears respectively but failed both charges giving me a huge advantage for later.  His Giant moved around to flank my Handguns/Cannon on the hill.  Moved his other Ogre unit up toward the Gunners as well.  He threw a Purple Sun at the Tank which I managed to survive.
My turn 3 had my Tank and the Knights hit hit the Guts together.  The Gryhpon finally made contact with the Scraplauncher and the Flagellants hit the Gnoblars.  My dice then went super hot and Ryans really abandoned him.  I cast the Fire Claok onto my Handgunners, knowing the Giant would be on them next turn.  I shot the Ogres in front of the Handguns and managed to do 6 wounds for a panic check which Ryan passed.  The Flagellants ate the Gnoblars who then failed their Leadership check as they were too far away.  The Gryphon beat and ran the Scraplauncher off the board.  The Tank and Knights beat the Guts and the Knights ran them down and hit the unit of Ogres who had previously failed their charge on the Spears.
Ryans 3 the Giant charged the Handguns, and the Flame Cloak did 12 hits on 2D6 and managed to pull 5 wounds finishing the Giant off.  At least in recompense the Giant fell on the Handguns killing 1/2 the unit forcing a flee for casualties.  The Ogres hit the Cannon and kill it then overrun on the Handguns and kill them. The Ogres against the Knights lose but hold.
Turn 4 the Tank hits the Ogres fighting the Knights.  I turn to face the Ogres with my Spears, the Gryphon turns to go after the Leadbelchers as do the Flagellants.  The Ogres lose the combat and are ran down by the Knights.
Ryan shoots the Gryphon for I believe the 3rd time he's shot at them but has still over the course of the game only managed 1 wound on the Lord and 1 on the Gryphon.  He turns the Ogres toward the Spears as well as gets a Gorger up on the table next to the Spears as well.
Finally on 5 I 6 dice Mind Razor and push the spears into the Ogres breaking them and the final Ogre runs off the table.  We call the game.
A big win for the Empire army in this game.  Its nice to see the army come together and the Knights finally do something worthwhile in a game.  I think the Gryphon for as expensive as he is was poorly used on my part.  I'm still quite happy with the army overall.  Its been a long experience putting this army together and now its mostly done.  Sadly I must now put it down and start work on my Bretonnian project.  I'm going to try and finish the Display Board for these guys though so that I can start taking them to touranments.

I think the most exciting part of this though is that I now have 3 armies up to 2,500 points that I can use.  Not only that but they are all painted to a damned fine standard and have display boards, etc...  It gives a real sense of accomplishment, particularly since both the Skaven and the Empire have been done in a 12 month period.  Happiness is a warm blanket and a finished army.





2 comments:

ohiohammer said...

Nice to see another empire player in the tourn ranks ;-)

As always great post!

Anonymous said...

Nice post. Love the look of the army but I do have one question/concern...
On the turn you cast cloak on your hand gunners I don't see the fire mage in the unit? Was he cut out of the picture? I see him behind the unit in the picture before but didn't actually see him in the unit. As cloak is a RiP and augment on the wizards and his unit if he wasn't in the unit they wouldn't of been able to be the target of the spell. I am assuming he was just out of the picture but wanted to clarify.

Thanks
Keep them comming.