Friday, January 3, 2014

Setting Goals

New Year’s Resolution - Organize!

So with the New Year and my new year’s resolutions set I have to get ready to start doing them.  Last year I took a willy nilly approach, never really concentrating on doing specific things, and certainly not doing them in any discernable order.  This year to help me achieve my goals I'm going to prioritize and set the goals into specific orders.  First off, let's take a look at my goals and let me make a snap judgment on whether or not they will get finished.

1. Buy No More Than 5 New Board Games
I think in 2013 I bought in the realm of 10 new games.  I think I should be able to stick to 5.
2. Participate in X-Wing League or Run Season 3 of Waaagh Cast Cup Blood Bowl League
I'm uncertain this will work.  Running the BBowl league is a lot of work and the local X-Wing
3. Play 4 Supplemental Rules Games
This one I can feel as practically done already.
4. Complete the Skaven
Totally doable
5. Paint 1,000 Points of Orcs & Goblins
Also completely doable
6. Attend Minimum 5 Local Events
Again! Completely achievable goal here.  Especially with me nixing out all out of town GT's except for BITS.
7. Top 10 Finish
This is a crapshoot.  With BITS being a 100 player tournament this year and me never scoring super well in tournaments I'm going to somehow have to take a hard army that doesn't make people hate it, play it well, somehow improve my sportsmanship scores (although I don't think I'm a bad guy I always perform low/middle in this category) and then I have to manage to get decent paint scores.  Not impossible, but I don't feel it is super likely.
8. Assemble 5 Tables of Terrain
Another uncertainty.  Last year I managed to assemble enough terrain to cover 2 tables, but none of that is painted still.  To paint and assemble not only those, but another 3 I think will be rough.
9. Run the Tournament
Dependant on the previous goal.  If I can actually get the stuff together this is totally achievable, but without the terrain clearly a failure.
10. Lose Weight
I have to get back to running and working on this.  Starting on new years day I began tracking my calories again with a resounding punch as I went a bout 1000 calories over that day.  As of the writing of this article I'm standing fast at my calorie goals the last couple of days.  Getting back to running is a bit more difficult.



So looking at those goals and whether I think I can finish them or not I'm going to prioritize them with what I feel are the most likely to be finished to the least likely and work down from there.

Complete the Skaven
Play 4 Supplemental Rules Games
Attend Minimum 5 Local Events
Paint 1,000 Points of Orcs & Goblins
Participate in X-Wing League or Run Season 3 of Waaagh Cast Cup Blood Bowl League
Buy No More Than 5 New Board Games
Top 10 Finish
Assemble 5 Tables of Terrain
Run the Tournament
Lose Weight

So looking at things from that order it's time to get started on things and first up is complete my Skaven army.  To that end I have a to go through all the stuff that needs put together and finished.  On the block to finish are the following:

Assemble and paint 21 Skaven Clanrats/Slaves
Assemble and paint a 4 model Unit Filler
Convert, assemble and paint a Warlord on Warlitter/Foot
Assemble and paint Packmaster Skweel Gnawtooth
Assemble and paint 1 Chieftain
Assemble and paint 1 Ratling Gun
Assemble and paint 2 Packmasters with Shock Prods

Upon the completion of these models my collection will contain:

1 Greyseer
1 Warlord on Foot
1 Warlord on Bonebreaker
1 Warlord on Foot/Warlitter
1 Chieftain
1 Chieftain BSB
2 Warlock Engineers
1 Plague Priest
1 Packmaster Skweel Gnatwooth
1 Assassin
1 Plague Furnace
100 Clanrats/Slaves
31 Stormvermin
27 Giant Rats
8 Packmasters
1 Plague Wind Mortar
2 Warpfire Throwers
1 Doomflayer
1 Ratling Gun
30 Plague Monks
8 Rat Ogres
12 Gutter Runners
2 Warp Lightning Cannons
1 Doomwheel
1 Abomination
1 Plague Claw Catapult
6 4 Model Unit Fillers

Turns out after looking at all of that with upgrades in the army I can construct a list over 4,500 points.  While it is obviously not the most effective list, the point stands that I can do it.  The only thing keeping me from hitting 5,000 points is the fact that all my Giant Rats don't currently count towards the 'Core Minimum' rule.  Awesome at awesomes most awesome.  I only really need to construct about 30ish models.  This will be my first goal to chase in 2014.  I will check back in on progress at the end of the month.  Wish me luck!

No comments: