Friday, January 9, 2015

2014 - By The Numbers

Every year I stop to take a look at my numbers with just to see how my performance was over the year in Warhammer.

Every year I try to get 52 games in which would account for 1 game a week.  This is how I try to justify the cost of my hobby. I figure if I were to actually get a game in a week then the massive amount of cash I’ve dropped into this hobby over the years I will not have gone too far afoul.  Now, that said this never happens.  I’ve been keeping track for 5 years and only once have I actually hit the 52.  That said this is actually the furthest year I’ve been from the number with only 40 games played.

I also like to keep track of my overall Win/Loss/Draw percentages.  This is the first year that my Win percentage has fallen under my Loss 21 games of my 40 games resulting in a loss.  Only a single Draw, and then 18 games in the Win category.  That’s 45% Win, 53% Loss and 3% Drawn.  The only other year that my games resulted in a lower than 50% Win rate was back in 2011 when I actually had a tie between my Win/Loss at 17 games apiece.  So this tells me that I played less and apparently got worse.

I also keep track of this all by armies that I played.  This year I played:
12 games with Dwarfs
4 with Skaven
20 with Empire
4 with Orcs & Goblins

Having played ½ of my games with my Empire army I’m not super shocked that my win percentage with them was over 50% of their own games with 11 wins, 8 losses and my single draw of the year.  I lost 3 of my 4 games with Skaven, 8 of 12 with Dwarfs and 2 of the 4 with O&G. 
Two of my Skaven games were lost in Triumph & Treachery games of Warhammer which makes me feel a little better as T&T really has the ability to mess with an army by making things work so differently from a standard game of Warhammer.  The Dwarf book I never really did get a good grasp on and the O&G I only played for a mini campaign that Chuck and I did and right afterward sold the army.



Its interesting to look back on my old tracking sheets and see that every year seems to favor a single army.  This year was clearly Empire.  The last 2 years were Skaven and the 3 years before that were all Dwarfs.
I noticed also that this year saw the fewest tournament games for me resulting in more fun games at home with my friends but also this means that many games played were just flat out battle lines as opposed to scenario’s.  This may help attribute to my losses being higher as in tournaments when you have scenario play you can often go after objectives and mitigate the loss factor sometimes eeking out a win or draw.
I’m not entirely sure what to make of all of this and I never really am.  I just always think its interesting to see my overall performance for a year and which army I favored.  I’d like to say I’m going to get into my Tomb King army heavily next year, but the fact of the matter is that with a new Vermin Lord due out this month that seems less and less likely.  Unless of course I run across a Nagash model really cheap and then I’ll definitely throw down on some of that.

Hopefully I’ll perform better next year as I’ll be trying to participate in more tournament gaming but with the advent of The End Times who knows how that’ll work out.

No comments: