Saturday, June 22, 2013

Rise of Legends - Joe Flesch - Da Burna Boy'z (Pt. 1)


Hi everybody,

For those unaware John from The Unstable Dice podcast is hosting a small hobby project/tournament that a bunch of people are participating in.  As a purpose to push listeners and traffic to his show we are posting our blog entries over on his website first which you can link to from here; but also after a week I will be posting my entries on my own webspace as well.  To that end here below is my first entry.

We’ll kick off my first article with a short introduction.  My name is Joe Flesch, some of you may know me from the Podcast/Blog, The Waaagh Cast!  I don't want to go into a super long story about my hobby past or credentials but I thought I’d cover some basics.  I've been playing GW games for 16+ years and while most of it was casual I've been heavily involved for the last 7 or 8 in just Warhammer Fantasy.  I hosted a Fantasy Podcast for 3 years and have just restarted it after a 1 year hiatus.  I’m pretty excited to be participating in this little project of Johns and hopefully you readers enjoy the articles that we’ll all be putting out.

Like most hobbyists I get pretty excited about projects like this.  The point of Regiments of Renown was to play very small, simple and quick games of Warhammer during short periods of time and to really be able to give your force a feeling of being unique and special.  You’re essentially building a small Regiment from the old Dogs of War days, but with your own fluff and model ideas.  To most of us it’s pretty exciting stuff.



I'm really looking forward to seeing what the other participants have in mind for their projects, but for now let’s get on to my own, why I chose it and what I plan to do for it.

So for my list I’ve ended up playing Orcs & Goblins.  I had a couple of ideas with these guys; but what I decided to do was find an Orc model that inspired me on its own and build from that point.  The one (well, two) I chose was the Orc Raider holding a torch and a pig under his arm.  With him as my inspiration I decided to build…  Da Burna Boyz, an Orc raiding party who will soon assuredly become quite well known for their pillaging ways.


I wanted to accentuate a number of themes with this group.  As raiders and pillages most if not all of the models will be carrying torches.  Every piece of Orc fluff says they leave nothing but destruction in their path so why would I not burn everything to the ground.  Scorched earth!  Second, with the unit being a group of raiders I wanted them to feel fast which meant taking things with mounts.  This hurt a lot on the point’s front, but I think in game it will also give me a big advantage being able to dictate charges and run around my opponents getting into positions that I want.  Finally as they are raiders they should all have swag bags and bits of plunder with them.  This gives me opportunity to use bits from all the other armies I’ve collected over the years.  Fun stuff!  With these thoughts in mind the tentative list is:

Orc – Extra Hand Weapon
Orc – Extra Hand Weapon
Orc – Extra Hand Weapon
Goblin Wolf Rider – Shield, Short Bow
Goblin Wolf Rider – Shield, Short Bow
Orc Boar Boy – Shield, Spear
Orc Boar Boy – Shield, Spear
Black Orc – Shield

This leaves me with 2 points free with which I could maybe add a spear onto the Wolf Riders, or maybe I’ll fiddle with the list some more and somehow squeeze in an extra body.  I’m not sure which.  Anyway, the list as above gives me a good amount of mobility.  Half of the models have Swiftstride and two have Vanguard plus Fast Cavalry which means I really have the ability to run around my opponent.  All Orc shooting being the same except for a shorter range for the Goblins I chose to put the Bows on the Wolfs so that I could get them to where I want the shots to be most.  One of the other things I wanted out of my lists was multiple attacks from every model.  In a game where combats are won and lost basically on the success of a single attack I wanted to try my best to tilt the odds into my favor.  The Black Orc and the Boar Riders give the army the higher Strength attacks to punch through enemy armor if need be and the Black Orc provides the highest possible leadership I can squeeze in at this level of play.

With the basics down, it’s time to begin gathering the pieces and models from my bits box for assembly.  One thing to say before I get started constructing is that the O&G army I plan on building later this year is a classic model army which is to say all the models are from 5th/6th edition of Warhammer.  I feel that some of these had the most character poses ever, but they also had a lot of single poses and lackluster movement in them as well.  So while I’d love to use the newer Boar Boys or the Fenrisian Wolfs for my Goblins I think I’ll have to forgo that option for now and fine some other way of making the models stand out.  Wish me luck and check back for updates soon.

No comments: